Requirements for the Major
The major in Business Management leads to the Bachelor of Science degree. Completion of the major requires 49 credits.
Transfer Credit Policy for students in the Business Major
Students may apply a maximum of 21 transfer credits toward the Business Major. Of the total 21 credits, only 6 credits may used to fulfill an area of specialization.
- BUS 115 Introduction to Business for Business Majors
- ACC 210 Financial Accounting
- BUS 215 Introduction to Business Statistics (see Note)
- BUS 220 Introduction to Decision Sciences (see Note)
- BUS 301 Business Communications
- BUS 326 Organizational Behavior
- BUS 330 Principles of Finance or ECO 389 Corporate Finance
- BUS 346 Operations Management
- BUS 348 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 353 Entrepreneurship or BUS 383 Social Entrepreneurship or BUS 441 Business Strategy
- BUS 446 Ethics: Critical Thinking through Film or BUS 447 Business Ethics
- ECO 108 Introduction to Economics (see Note)
Upper-Division Writing Requirement
BUS 301 contains the necessary writing components which satisfy the Upper Division Writing Requirement for the business major, and also satisfies the Stony Brook Curriculum learning objective WRTD.
All courses taken to satisfy the business management major requirements must be taken for a letter grade. All students accepted to the business management major in the fall 2005 semester and subsequent must complete all BUS courses, ECO 108, and MAT 122 with a grade of C or higher in order to satisfy the requirements for the major. Students accepted to the business management major prior to fall 2005 must complete the following courses with a grade of C or higher in order to satisfy the requirements for the major: BUS 110, BUS 210, BUS 220 (formerly BUS 249), BUS 340, BUS 346, BUS 347, BUS 348, BUS 440, and BUS 441; AMS 102, ECO 108, MAT 122 or MAT 123, PSY 103 or SOC 105.